Friday, February 12, 2010

In the 'Naki

Monday saw me headed north for a few days. I called in at Marton on my way, to catch up with a couple of cousins. Wally, New Zealand’s biggest second hand bookseller (him, not the store) was complaining about the lack of business, while his sister PJ looked frazzled beyond belief as she served me a coffee at her shop.


I pushed on to the outskirts of Oakura, where I spent four delightful hours in the garden with Glyn Church, a world-renowned hydrangea expert - more to come on that visit.

In the evening I backtracked a little and went to have a quick look at Parihaka – a very sad sight (and site). I parked on the side of the Hangatahua River (known to pakeha as Stoney River) near Okato.

I then pushed on for New Plymouth, where I wandered around Pukekura Park, taking photographs until then light had nearly gone.




Such a great day.

No comments: